Helpful Self-storage Tips
We're happy to share these helpful hints to make the packing and storing of your belongings a breeze!
What you can safely store
- Furniture & bedding
- Canned goods
- Tools & gardening equipment
- Christmas decorations
- Just about anything as long as it fits, and it's not on the NEXT list!
What you CANNOT store: The following items are prohibited
- Please do not store anything combustible (such as paint and chemicals) or perishable (such as food that is not permanently sealed). These items cannot be stored on the premesis.
- When storing lawn and garden equipment, drain any fluids prior to storage in order to avoid corrosive damage.
- Perishable foods
- gasoline, oil or grease
- compressed gas such as propane
- Acids or other corrosives
- Products containing asbestos
- Radioactive equipment or supplies
- Hazardous, toxic, or biological waste
- People: Units may not be used for residency or sleeping
Other Helpful Tips
- Always use high quality locks on your unit. Pondwood Self Storage sells locks on-site; ask the Store Manager for details.
- Store furniture carefully on boards or pallets.
- Cover mattresses and store them flat on level surfaces.
- Store small items like pots and pans in large appliances, such as stoves or refrigerators, to save valuable space.
- When storing business files, label all boxes and construct aisles so files are easily seen and accessible.
- Use protective covers and treat wood surfaces before storing.
- Break down items (such as table legs) and store large furniture (like tabletops and sofas) on end to save space.
- Use furniture drawers to hold delicate items. Wrap them in bubble wrap or newspaper.
- When packing toys or smaller objects, remember to fill boxes completely, stuffing open areas with plain newspaper to prevent collapsing when stacked.
- Use trash cans to store shovels, hoes and rakes.